Saturday, August 04, 2007

Ellen Thompson: Professor of Languages

So, as incredible as it may sound...they are going to let me teach a college language course all by myself. Meaning that I am the only teacher, not that I have to invent the curriculum etc. I am really excited and scared at the same time. I already do have a lot of materials prepared from the language instruction class that I am taking, so that will be a big help. I have decided that I will refer to myself in class as Dona Elena, a name with a little bit of ummph and respect. I'll let you know how it proceeds, but I think that I will really enjoy it and will strive to be great. Teaching is one of the things that I do love to do and I can see myself being very happy doing it. Funny link: Why learn a foreign language??


Also, a little side note, the service project did very well. We had about 100 single adults show up and we served 6 schools and the public library. At each school there was a different project, for example: At Rock Canyon they cleaned windows and did weeding/etc. There was another school that also had windows done. One had the participants pruning rosebushes and at yet another they covered books. The library was also very excited to have us there as they had just finished a variety of projects as well as the summer reading program and had had various holidays interspersed and consequently had fallen behind on their shelving and sorting of books, we helped get them ready and organized for the back to school. Overall, it worked out very well. The custodians of the various schools couldn't say enough about how grateful and excited they were. One school actually let us know that they had positions available, so I guess they liked our work. We had breakfast and lunch for the participants and really I feel like it was a great success. Also it is a great relief to be done with it. I love it when a plan comes together.

So, that is the update on my crazy life...The Lord continues to bless me and sustain me through all of my many activities. I know that alone I would fail, but as Paul notes in Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."
Ammon mentions in Alma 26:12 "Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."

No comments: