Thursday, March 23, 2006

Food, wet rain, and stuff...

Well, some days it is a real hassle to do e-mail. The little shop where we usually do our correspondance is closed because they are moving to a new local, which here in a week will be closer to our house, but in the meantime is just a little annoying. Anyhow, this wouldn´t be too bad, but it happens to be raining sideways today and the wind is really strong. There are remains of umbrellas strewn all over the sidewalkes. It really looks like a cheap horror film (like ´something wicked this way comes´) and the umbrellas like dead insects. It´s kind of funny, but at the same time very wet and cold.

Sister Christensen and I are getting along royally! We think that President Greene made a mistake and here in a little bit he will realize his mistake and change compainions because we´re having too much fun! We keep trying to convince ourselves that this is missionary WORK, but there are moments when we, collapsing in giggles, don´t really believe such things. We are really working hard however. For example, yesterday we worked for 10.5 hours out in the rain and taught a whole lot of lessons that were really edifying. Carmen, one of the people we are teaching, is doing so wonderfully. She has a difficult work situation and is constantly being bombarded with negative influences, but she takes the Book of Mormon with her every day to work. She reads it on the bus, and during the moments more difficult during the work day she slips a glance and drinks deep from the pages. She also takes notes on what she has learned so that she can use it during the day. We marked her yesterday for baptism on the 23rd of April. Our big task for this week will be to help her stop smoking. We have great hopes of "curing" her of this vice because of her faith. Just like Zeezrom in Alma 15 (or so). Her faith will be what helps her overcome. Like Samuel said, we can´t do this on our own, we constantly need the Lord´s help. This is why we have the Atonement, to help up overcome daily challenges.

As for eating, Mom. I have eaten a lot of things that you would be really proud of me for. Yesterday we had Francizinhas (a bife, ham, and sausage, and an egg sandwiched in two pieces of bread, and dripping with a special sauce the color of oranges) The member, at whose house we were eating took a picture so I can show you that I really ate it. I have also eating a lot of fish, being here near the ocean (which I love) we get a lot of people who like to feed us fish (which I love less, but I do not utterly hate) I have also eaten a couple of things that are not on the approved list for sure. At the house of one little old lady from Angola I had ox heart and lungs. I recognized the valves and it didn´t just slide down really easy, it almost came back, however, not wanting to be rude, I smiled and smacked my lips. My companion was laughing the whole time, but that is what compainions are for.

The rest of the time when I´m not eating at the bequest of others. I satisfy myself with the absolutely heavenly bread that is found in abundance, and yogurt and fruit, sometimes mixed in with cereal and my compainion´s latest experiment. Usually this is done very quickly because I would rather spend the meal time learning something or preparing a lesson, or working on the language. It is my goal to leave here a native...we´ll see how that goes. Anyway, that´s what I eat.

So, love you all, oh! and I sent the letter back to Dad the day I got it, I think it was Friday, so he should be getting it soon.
Love You!! Happy Birthday to all of those having birthdays!! (Grandma at 96, ect...)
ellen

No comments: