Saturday, April 09, 2005

Standing Ovation

The overuse of the standing ovation has always been a sore spot with me, probably as a result of my father's influence. For instance I went to a musical Thursday night which was good, but not deserving of the extreme mark of satisfaction and enjoyment. I stood and clapped because everyone around me had. I really did enjoy the acting, the dancing, and the singing, but there is kind of a mark where the performance does more than entertains and pulls your whole heart and soul into the work. This was the case with the BYU Singers concert that I attended Friday. I had the feeling that I could stay forever and soak up the excellence in their singing. You wanted to cry just because they were so dang good. In addition their selections were very entertaining and soul stirring. This is the kind of performance that deserves a standing ovation and I stood with all my heart and soul in the clapping. It was very fulfilling to use this mark of supreme approval in its rightful place.

No comments: