Friday, February 04, 2005

MISSION CALL!!!

Yesterday, Thursday, February 3rd, I calmly drove back to Denver with nary a thought in my mind but getting to my bed and taking a nice long nap. When I turned off I-70 and turned my cell phone on there was a message from Connie Spencer, who I live with: "Ellen, give me a call, we have some news here for you." The rest of the drive home, which was unintentional driven in excess of the speed limit, was very thick with anticipation. My missionary papers were only sent in on the 24th of January and could not have produced results so soon could they?!? I ran into the house in disbelief. "No way could they be here!!" They handed me "the envelope" and I quickly raced downstairs to my room and dialed up my mother at work. She was just beginning a class, but I told her assistant that this was her daughter and that I needed to talk to her. I told her I had arrived home safely to quell any fears she might have in that department and ecstatically informed her that my call had arrived. I then ripped open the envelope and read.....(drumroll please)

Dear Sister Thompson:

You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Portugal Porto Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months.

You should report to the Missionary Training Center at Provo, Utah on Wednesday, 4 May 2005. You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Portuguese language. Your mission president may modify your specific assignment according to the needs of the mission.

No comments: