Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Crazy staffing

Staffing at the hospital where I work has been a nightmare lately. For instance, last night I started out with 7 patients with the promise of 10 at 2300. Normally I am only supposed to have 5 patients, 6 maximum. Luckily, someone did some fancy finagling and we got a day nurse to do a night shift from 11-7. I was so grateful that I didn't have to take all 10 as that would have been very unhealthy for them and me. As a result, I had kind of a quiet night, truly a blessing. Last week wasn't much better from a staffing standpoint and I could have worked every night if I had allowed them to convince me. Crazy stuff this shortage of nurses, or shortage of healthy nurses anyway. Can't wait to see my mom next week. I'm getting my wisdom teeth out and she's coming to nurse me. Luckily her staffing ratio will be 1:1 and I'm probably an acuity 1, so she should be fine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm wondering just what you expect from your 1 on 1 nurse? Do you have any plans. You work Tuesday night--right?
I'll be glad to have a break for the noisy, ansy kids. So hope you'll be better behaved.