Thursday, October 06, 2005

Conferência geral!!!

So, got to love that we have prophets here on earth and that we have the blessed opportunity to hear from them every six months. We got to attend most of the sessions which was truly magnificent. I really loved the spirit that I felt there, and the knowledge that I have. I am so thankful for the Book of Mormon and for living prophets.

Other exciting news... we have marked two investigators for baptism on the 29th of this month. Joaquina e Rui are excellent, and they really have a thirst to read and know and do the things of the Lord. Joaquina is in her 30´s and Rui is her 12 year-old son. They are really excellent. We had an amazing visit with them on Tuesday with a couple of members. Working with the members is the way to go. We just have to teach a little bit and control the conversation and the members bear testimony and help to teach them in perfect portuguese. The Spirit is able to bear testimony of truth in a manner more complete than is attainable with just two little missionaries.

I thought of Aaron yesterday as someone in one of the apartment buildings we were in was practicing Yesterday on the violin. It made me smile.

Congratulations on the nearing completion of the house! It is exciting to be nearing the end of such a big project. I have no doubts that you will not let any time go by before plunging headlong into another of even grander proportions, but that is the way life goes.

We have been teaching a lot this week and we really have some good investigators. The thing that is most noteable about them is their hunger for the scriptures. They just can´t get enough and during our lessons--they want to read the whole time and more verses even than we are teaching from. It is great to watch the light in their eyes as the eternal truths make connection with their immortal spirits and they remember. Our work is like that of a doctor helping someone with amnesia in place of teaching, we are reminding.

The Book of Mormon is the word of God. From the time of my mission call until the end of this month I will have read that marvelous book of scripture four times. 3 in english and once in portuguese. Every time I read it I feel better. When I don´t think I can do any more I can open it up and read even a few verses and the spirit and energy that come from that exercise give me the strength that I need to keep going. I have a little english pocket sized version that I keep in my bag all of the time and I think I´ll have to do it for the rest of my life. It is fun to have 5 extra seconds and fill it with words of love and counsel from my Heavenly Father to me.

Speaking of letters, I´m having "mail depression" because all of the letters and things from Matosinhos have not made it to me yet, and I haven´t been to Porto in a while so I haven´t gotten the ones from the office either, but we are having a conference next week, so hopefully I be swamped in letters, or at least have one or two. It does make a difference. Por esta razão meu querido irmão eu mandei quatro cartas esta semana em só um envelope com muito amor. Obrigada pelas muitas cartas que já mandaste para mim e não te preocupes sobre so mandando uma carta cada mes. É suficiente. Es um élder espectacular! Eu sou tão grata que tenho um exemplo tão forte.

Well, that´s about it. Love you all! If you want to know anything specific drop me a line and I´ll do my best to respond. Give all of those cute munchkins my love and kisses!

ellen

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message may contain confidential information, and is
intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it
is addressed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: