Thursday, October 13, 2005

small miracles

We have had a great week here with many small miracles. I have been having great studies and am always a little disappointed when I have to stop reading the Book of Mormon. I love the simplicity of that wonderful book of scripture. It reminds me of otello "a minute to learn, a lifetime to master" I know that the prophets were speaking to us now. So, for the miracles. On Monday someone called us asking for a book of mormon...that never happens. Someone with whom we had left a pass along card actually was interested and requested her free copy with we ran over as soon as possible. She had two days off and planned on spending them reading--what a great idea. Anyway, then we have been having some really great lessons and as I struggle to keep myself humble I am able to teach with the Spirit, and He speaks perfect portuguese, or at least well enough that no one is focusing on the language, but on the message. It is amazing what the Lord can do with us if we let him. I have been reading in Alma 40-42 which explains yet again the plan of salvation and really it is all about our desires, I am trying to modify my desires so I can say that like the people of King Benjamin in Mosiah 5 that I have no desires to do evil but to do good continually.

Thanks for the pictures Deann! They are really beautiful girls and they´re growing up so fast. Nephi, thanks for posting those pictures and my very witty remarks about them. (or not so witty) I have an awesome family for sure. Mom, my favorite scriptures for the first lesson are James 1:5, Jacob 4:4, JSH 16-17, Mosiah 4:9, and Moses 1:39, 2Cor 1:13, Amos 3:7, and 2 Thes 2:3. They are all pretty short and yet powerful.

Oh, our challenge for this week was fleas. I have a sad flea-bitten companion. The other day the count was about 50, but I´m sure it has exceeded that. We enter just about every house that will let us in and talk to every one, so it is not too surprising that we come in contact with little bugs that plague the human race. Fortunately for me, I must not be very sweet, but I only got one or two bites. Maybe my blood is like the goo in bike tires that just fills in the holes and they go away quickly. Anyway, for whatever reason, here, like in Matosinhos when Sister Landro was afflicted by mosquito bites, I have not been affected to horribly by Sister Schneiber´s fleas, although I surely have been doing my best to help her combat them. It´s fun.~

Oh, I almost forgot about our crazy day this week. There has to be at least one day of crazies every transfer. We taught this one yound man named Miguel Angelo and marked him for baptism. That doesn´t sound overly strange, the thing that was crazy is that his mom was present. Still doesn´t sound too out of the ordinary??? Well, she happened to be absolutely dripping... when she gave us bejinhos (kisses on both cheeks) she gave us raspberries unintentionally(the sound that you make when you blow on a baby´s belly). I smelled like table wine for the rest of the night. Every once in a while I would get a whiff of myself and feel a little tipsy. Oh, but it never stops with just one incident. Next, we went to an appointment we had made with a contact, but she couldn´t entertain us in her house because of her husband and so we taught her in a cafe nearby. The only problem is that the cafe was filled to the brim, but this isn´t all...there was a soccer game playing, and in Portugal soccer isn´t just a game, it is a religion. For a person not to support a team is like being unfaithful to the country. Many people have died over the results of games (and during them). We did however manage to teach a pretty good lesson and have made a return appointment for a different local. To add to this excitement (and fear for our safety during the drunken cheering for the game) Sister Schneiber found a flea in her hair, which is very thick and very curly. We then made an emergency trip to the pharmacy and bought lice shampoo which hopefully kills fleas too.

So, exciting week--and our fight with the fleas marches on, or jumps on. The number of bites per night has decreased, but there are still new ones that arise with the morning light. Hopefully we´ll conquer before the week is up.

The week to come: tomorrow we´ll have mission conference with Elder Baxter of the Area Presidency. Random fun fact: our new Area President is none other than the writer of the Work and the Glory books, Gerald Lund. Just thought you all might enjoy knowing that. Thanks so much for your love and prayers (for me and my flea-bitten best friend) I know we are involved in the work of God. That this is the final gathering, the Lord is hastening His work and I´m so thankful to be part of it. This is the Lord´s church and Kingdom on the earth. Love you all!
ellen

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message may contain confidential information, and is
intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it
is addressed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: