Thursday, September 08, 2005

guess what...

So, my life is like a comedy show sometimes I think. Sister Landro and I were doing contacts in an apartment building. We have had a hard time of it lately and were finally seeing little glimmers of hope and we finally contacted people for the second time after teaching them a first lesson and then they went away on ferias. So, we finally had some teaching appointments and it looked like things were really turning around (and probably still are) So, we are here talking to a woman in the door who is really excited about us returning and bringing her a Book of Mormon and she can´t believe that we´re giving them away for free when all of a sudden... Her neighbors come home and find out that they were robbed. Not wanting to bring suspicion to ourselves by running away from the scene (which is precisely what we wanted to do) we stayed for a bit to se if there was anything we could do to help. As we were backing out slowly..the police arrived and we took yet another trip to the esquadro where they took copies of our passport copies and let us go. They really don´t think we are the ones that are robbing people, but they are starting to think that maybe we might be in a ring or something. Anyway, I am certain that we´re doing a lot of good in this area or we wouldn´t have so much opposition. I love the scripture in 2 Nephi 31:20 where it uses the word press. That means to me that there will be opposition and as is says in 2 ne 2 there must be opposition in all things, it is a law of nature, of science, and of God. Anyway, it is a sure sign that you´re doing something right if you have opposition. The other road is much slicker and easier. I also really like the next verse that talkes about the only way and name that is given to Eternal Life in the presence of our Father. There are a lot of people here that are very confused and disillusioned about religion because when this country opened to other religions 30 years ago, there were a lot that took advantage of the neitivity (spelling) and did wrong in the sight of the Lord. I am so glad that I have the unshakable knowledge that it is through Jesus Christ and only through Him and His proper ordinances and convenents that we can gain this reward.

Anyway, I might be transfered from this area...we´ll have to see. President Greene is working on it with prayer and fasting and he should be talking to Sister Landro today, we have to be down in Porto to renew her visa.. So, I don´t exactly know what I´ll be doing in the next little bit, but I have no doubts that it will be according to the will of the Lord. Thank goodness for revelation over stewardships! So.. that´s my funny story for this week. A funny thing about this time at the police station, we preached to the guards. Well, the officers asked us about what our function was here in Portugal and we basically shared the sacrifices that we make to be here and threw in what our beliefs were and the restoration of the Church that Jesus Christ organized on the earth through the prophet Joseph Smith, and that we have a prophet today. Oh, for a step by step analysis of the role of a prophet...Jacob 1:5-7, 17-19 great stuff. I love the Book of Mormon!!

I´m so glad that everyone is doing well there. It is great to see the spiritual growth of my great little missionary example and my parents. I will send pictures to Nephi soon that he can post on the blog for anyone who care to see them. Love you all! Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer and my friend more and more each day.

ellen

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message may contain confidential information, and is
intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it
is addressed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: