Thursday, July 14, 2005

hello from portugal

So, obviously I am alive and everything. I love Portugal. i love the way people stand and look out of their windows and sit in the streets during the afternoon. I love the way the buildings do not match and the streets have no order to them whatsoever. I love the crazy way they drive. I love the way they aren´t very much different from Americans, but are because they have such a long tradition. It is an awesome country.

The work...is work, but I love it as well. My feet are sore and tired all of the time, but that will pass. I am thankful for these good shoes. A lot of the sisters here have the dansco shoes and they have lasted them well. I am also thankful that I can change each day and I think that has helped because I have not yet gotten blisters although I´ve been on my feet for about 10 hours each day straight (this is a bit harder than in nursing where you do get to sit down once in a while. During the work there is no time and not very many good places to sit down) So, at the moment it is a bit hard, there are only two investigators that we are teaching right now, so we spend a lot of the day finding, bating doors and such. It makes you really think about how much the missionaries appreciate member referrals (especially those that are actually home and when the member is willing to go with you to the visit or have it in their home-the optimal place to learn) yes, so that is my little plug for missionary work. It is a bit frustrating sometimes because people just won´t listen to you. You do have to love them and their rigid politeness, even though they won´t let you get a word in, they still try to be polite. I have learned that aspect of portuguese very well...com licença, obrigada, nao estou interesada, mas brigada, desculpa-la, com licença...as they shut the door. We did find a couple of people this week after about 40 hours of bating doors that seem promising, hopefully they will guard their compromisso(appointment).

So, yeah, um, I have an awesome trainer Sister Landro is from Salt Lake and she is awesome. We get along very well and I´m learning a lot. We also have a great ward here. They have a contest between the women and the men to see who can get the visiting\home teaching done first. Otherwise, I have eaten all sorts of fish already including squid, still don´t really like fish, but maybe that will change.

other than that, I don´t know what you all want to know. I would like to know good things that are happening in your families with your beautiful children and such, if the folks are homeless yet and the like.

Nephi, thanks so much for the e-mail addresses and keeping everything in line for me. If anyone has an address that they would rather me send this to, let me know. I probably will just write one e-mail a week because of time constraints and I´ll post them all to the blog as well so it is also there for your viewing pleasure.

Oh, Mom, I did really like that little tidbit by the way, it was really cute. Oh, and if you do want to send cards which I also love very much I will probably be in this area for the next 6 weeks and packages can come here as well: Rua Teixeira Pascois
N. 139 ´5
4450 Matosinhos
PORTUGAL (but you could have guessed that)

The ones sent to the mission home don´t get to me for a while. Actually it isn´t too bad because we are only an hour from the mission office by metro and so somedays on preparation days we will go down to porto to play with the sisters that serve there.

So, let me know what you would like to know more about, the weather (hot), the people (cold until you warm them up-which does not take very much), ect

Love you all!

ellen (sister thompson)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message may contain confidential information, and is
intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it
is addressed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: