Thursday, November 10, 2005

Another Week in the Life

So, we had a good week, not everything went the way we had hoped, but we are still here and the work is moving forward. We have been teaching a lot with the members and it is really a joy. The one thing that comes with working with members is that they feel that they have to feed you at every opportunity. We hardly have to buy any groceries at all this week thanks to the members.

There is one little old widow who is especially dear. She is 70 some odd years old from Angola. She had 13 children 7 of which are still living. She has lived a rough life with the war in Angola, an abusive husband, and her spit-fire and vinger attitude and her poor little body showes it. She hadn´t come to church for years because of her health, but she has been coming for the last couple of months and she says that she has much more energy and less pain because of it. She really likes our visits, even when she can´t understand what we are saying because of our accents and her hearing (affected by an inoperable tumor in her brain) She had started to do divisions with us, which is helpful because she happens to know everyone, and because she loves the way she feels when she is with us. She can´t read because of an accident when she saved a child from getting hit with a car and her glasses shatterend into her eyes, but we are working on finding the Book of Mormon on CD so that she can listen on the days when her hearing is good. The spirit that that woman carries makes you happy just by being around her. In her is a simple testimony of the truthfullness of the gospel of Jesus Chirst. She likes to be around us and she likes to go to church because she feels good. She who has every excuse to lay on her bed and be catered to is out walking every day trying to help others. She is already planning opportunities to have a get together and cook for people and she always has a little treat for us when we go on visits with her. What makes it all the more endearing, she has absolutely no money because of debts her husband left and she still is always giving. She is a wonderful lady.

Thanks Deann for the notes! I did not get any pictures in either, perhaps because my mailbox was full. I have since deleted some things, so maybe it will work. This account only has a 10 MB space, so I have to be selective about the pictures I keep and I like to look at them every so often. What would also be good is to print the pictures off every once in a while and send them to me (just wallet sized on printer paper, and I can put them in my photo book) Not every internet shop has printing capabilities. Also, congrats on the great news! Things always have a way of working out for our good. Thanks also for your thoughts. I did read that article in the Ensign not to long ago, and it is always good to have a refresher.

Things are going well and I am feeling like I can speak more and more (as long as I am humble--because when I´m not it all flies right out the window) We are teaching a lot of really great families with a lot of potential. I just want to offer them the world, which is what the gospel does have to offer, but must be done in short bits and little by little they will obtain everything.

Mom, I have gotten a few letters from Janie and have been replying as soon as I get one. I am probably due again to write one. I may have time today as Sister Schneiber is feeling a bit down and will be sleeping most of today. The weather really has turned cold, even when the sun is out it is really chilly. Oh, thinking of cold and fall and all of that. We will probably have a little Thanksgiving dinner for just the missionaries in our zone. I, of course, volunteered for the pie making. However, I didn´t bring a single recepie with me. Could you therefore send me the Apple, Pumpkin, and Lemon M. (i forget how to spell), as well as the crust--I almost remember, but not quite. Thanks!

So, love you all! Hope you´re doing well and my prayers always are with you.

ellen

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message may contain confidential information, and is
intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it
is addressed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: